Are You In The Desert?
Are you in the desert?
I asked this question yesterday at the end of the message. But if you were not there, let me share with you the meaning of the question.
All throughout the Bible, you see the nation of Israel, prophets of God and even Jesus going to or living in the wilderness. (desert) The desert represents the place where you get serious with God and/or God is getting serious with you.
But why a desert? Why can't God do His business in a garden? Because, sometimes, we don't listen to or obey God in the middle of a luscious garden as well as when we are in the desert. Just ask Adam and Eve. As long as life is good, why listen?
The desert was a place of judgment.
Isreal ended up wandering in the desert for 40 years because of their lack of faith. They failed to believe Philippians 4:19 And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
I've been quoting this scripture A LOT lately. That usually means God is trying to tell me/us something. So what is it? Many people will agree with this scripture, but few will believe.
- The nation of Isreal had watched God deliver them from the hands of their Egyptian slave masters through a series of plagues.
- They watched as God parted the Red Sea and then destroyed the Egyptian army.
- They watched Him provide manna from heaven (we will talk about that one tomorrow), water from a rock, quail from the sky.
- They watched him talk to Moses, provide the ten commandments and the law of Moses.
- They followed a cloud by day which turned into a pillar of fire at night.
- They built the tabernacle as God instructed them to, then they worshiped Him there.
- They could see the presence of God on the Ark of the Covenant. (The holiest object in the tabernacle.) All of this and they didn't have the faith to believe they could conquer the residents of the land God had promised to give to them (Israel).
They had to agree that God had provided for their every need, but they couldn't believe that He would do it again. Because of their lack of faith, God ordered them to live in the desert for 40 years. He needed a new generation of Israelites would do more than agree with Him, they would believe Him.
PRAY Dear Jesus; I want to do more than agree, I want to believe. Increase my faith! AMEN