I hear people say all the time. "I need to get my money under control." "I need to get my weight under control." "I need to spend more time with my family." They have great intentions but never follow through - why?
Because they didn't do the right thing the first time.
2 Timothy 1:7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
Because I am a pastor and have been preaching for 37 years, I often see a sermon in Scripture. (I also see them in everything else too.) So here is a three point sermon.
- God did not give us a spirit of fear. There are a lot of things God will not give us, but we can find on our own if we want. Fear is one of them. In other words, God never created you to be a coward.
1. God gives us power
- The Greek word for power is dýnamis where we get the word dynamite. The power residing in a thing by virtue of its nature, or which a person or thing exerts and puts forth. Ref.
- When we asked Christ into our lives, we accepted the Holy Spirit presence in our hearts. In other words, God lives in you (1 Cor. 3:16). The power that created the heavens and universe lives within you. You are not powerless.
2. God gives us love
- The Greek word for love is agápē. Love that willingly sacrifices not expecting anything in return.
- Christ flows from a heart of love. Not of anger, rage, fear, jealousy, greed or anything else. What flows from your heart?
3. God give us self-control
- In a world, that encourages losing control of one's emotions and actions. God provides us with the ability to practice soundness of mind and moderation.
- It is this quality that we must have BEFORE we can control our weight, home life, career, finances and everything else.
Conclusion: So how would I conclude this message?
#1 (I would say) Before you can get control of your life you have to accept the fact that you are powerless to do so without God's help. It is His power within you that will help you succeed.
#2 Check your motives. If you cannot love yourself (as Christ loves you), then you never believe that you can change.
#3 Get a grip. Focus on what God wants and not what everyone else is doing. They are blind to the truth. Jesus said that blind people would lead blind people into a ditch (Matt. 15:14)
PRAY: Jesus, help me to put first things first today. Help me to see what I need to change and then give me the power and self-control to do it. AMEN
If you do this - then all those "other" things in your life will settle down and submit to your will.
Hmm, maybe I will share this message some day.